Please throw yourself fully into this thought experiment.

Imagine that a ghost arrives on Earth who erases all music of the past. Every score, every recording, every history book, every performance of every single piece of music written in the past is suddenly and mysteriously vanished. You can recall names of great composers (e.g. Mozart, Handel) but you can recall nothing of their artistic contributions. What is now available is only music of the present day in October 2020.

First, discuss any ethical implications of playing music exclusively of the past. Then please write about the music you would then perform on your instrument and include any links to this music, if possible. Why are you including the music you select? Finally, offer your cogent opinion on this quote from Nietzsche:

If you are to venture to interpret the past, you can only do so out of the fullest exertion of the present. Only when you put forth your noblest qualities in all their strength will you divine what is worth knowing and preserving in the past. Like to like! Otherwise, you will draw the past down on you.

Word count for entire prompt: approximately 300 words. Due Wed Oct 21 at 10am on your blog site. Thanks as always for your contributions.

I believe, like all art forms, music is a way of expressing yourself; be it your opinions, thoughts, dreams, point of view, or even your ethics. It’s a way to share something from yourself or from your culture. Aboriginal cultures (as do other cultures, I believe) use music to record and share their history. So, the further we travel back, the more history and perspectives we lose. I’m also currently in Mus105, and we are learning about Modernism and how it (in my opinion) is all about breaking conventional composition rules and exploring what can be. To me, this music mostly sounds awful, so if I didn’t have the past compositions of Mozart, Bach ect to look back on, I would have no idea why these modern composers are writing garbage. I wouldn’t understand their purpose or what they were trying to do.

Ex. We just went over graphic notation and listened to Roscoe Mitchell Quartet, Nonaah (1975). I did not like how it sounded, but I thought the implication was really cool. Graphic notation allows for each performance to be unique, and to really show off the perspective of the musician.

https://youtu.be/1aSbske4psQ

Since I mainly play piano for fun, if I was limited to music of the past I’d mostly play pieces by Debussy. Every piano piece I’ve hear from him sounded really good to me.

I don’t quite agree with the quote from Nietzsche. Winston Churchill once said, “History is written by the victors”. I take this to mean that the human written history is biased, no matter how much time research goes in to uncovering what really happened in events of the past. For Nietzsche to say an analysis of current ‘qualities’ divines what was “worth knowing” in the past, puts quantifies on some things that just can’t be quantifiable. The small, cute melodies Dr. Krebs writes for his wife’s birthday might not make the history textbooks, might not have relevance in future famous compositions, but they mean something precious to her and to Dr. Krebs. I think small stuff like this matter, and are worth knowing about.